Freehand (Cut & Stitch) Method
The steps involved are as follows
- The area is cleaned.
- Local anaesthetic is injected around the base of the penis
- Time is given for the local anaesthetic to work.
- Surgical clips are then applied to the foreskin.
- The extra foreskin is identified and a clamp is applied to crush this extra foreskin
- The foreskin is then removed with either the use of a scalpel or a cautery (heat) device.
- The bleeding areas are now controlled with internal stitches which will not be visible once the procedure has been completed.
- Further trimming of any residual foreskin is undertaken if required.
- Finally external stiches are applied in an interrupted fashion which will normally begin to fall off themselves after 2 – 3 weeks.
- A bandage is then applied around the wound site which completes the procedure.