Plastibell (Ring) Method
The steps involved are as follows
- The area is cleaned.
- A local anesthetic injection is given at the base of the penis.
- Time is given for the local anaesthetic to work.
- Surgical clips are then applied to the foreskin.
- Any adhesions are removed affecting the foreskin.
- The foreskin is then gently peeled backwards.
- Sometimes a cut is made to the foreskin to enable the foreskin to be peeled back safely.
- The Plastibell device is then positioned.
- The foreskin is replaced over the Plastibell device.
- A tourniquet (string) is now tightened which crushes the extra foreskin onto the Plastibell device which is sitting and protecting the glans (head) of the penis.
- A small amount of extra skin is removed and the Plastibell device is now left in place.
- Within 5-8 days the Plastibell device falls off leaving a clean circumcision scar
- A small amount or residual swelling occurs which settles over the next 3-5 days.